Engineering a novel way forward: sustainable technology for aerospace and transport

Professor Fabrizio Scarpa
Professor Fabrizio Scarpa

Professor Fabrizio Scarpa has been working on meta-materials for 26 years, as well as working on sustainable bio- and nanocomposites. In the last ten years, his research branched out in tandem to investigate the composition and potential applications of biobased materials. More recently, he has been looking into how the two could combine, with a particular focus on taking a Net Zero approach to innovation in the aerospace and transport industry.

His Enterprise Fellowship is an extension of this work, for which he is gathering a team of professional advisors and fellow researchers who can explore the industry potential of a new metamaterial biogel. With a strong team and cross-sector support, Professor Scarpa believes this metabiogel could provide a novel and environmentally responsible solution for the aerospace and transport sector, by providing a low-cost, sustainable, non-fossil alternative for vibration alleviation and energy absorption.

Why metamaterials? What is it about them that interests you and motivated you to specialise in this area?

By definition, metamaterials are systems of materials at different scales that globally provide some functionalities that are very difficult to find grouped together in a single item in nature. In that sense, they are an artificial class of solids that go beyond the bio-inspiration behind them – in designing them, the idea is to go beyond the bio-mimicry.

To me, the fascination is rooted in the fact that they push you to go big on lateral thinking. To develop a metamaterial, you need to look at what happens at the level of physics, chemistry, shape, form and functionality.

I’ve always had a great admiration for architects and artists, and several classes of these metamaterials are based on architectural principles and artistry. I find the ancient palaces of the Alcázar of Seville particularly fascinating. The tiles of the mosaics at the Palace are full of geometry patterns typical of the periodic tessellated structures present in metamaterials.

For some time, I’ve been developing three or four classes of metamaterials based on very similar architecture – and yet I’ve never visited the Alcázar! This just shows what can emerge from lateral thinking, the opportunities for creativity that open up from a scientific perspective.

Your Enterprise Fellowship is focused on developing and potentially commercialising a meta-biogel absorber. Can you describe what this is and why it matters?

Within the context of Net Zero and the decarbonisation of the world aerospace transport industry, there is a niche for materials that can be used to damp vibration and damp noise.

There has been an increasing shift towards biobased materials, and you see fossil-based composites in use. But not a lot of the metamaterials currently available take an entirely biobased approach; whereas this metabiogel can be generated from natural resources from across the globe.

It therefore responds to a global environmental concern while meeting a commercial need in a sustainable way. We are targeting the aerospace industry because there is a strong Net Zero demand, but there are potential applications for the rest of the transport sector. As a part of the solution to energy absorption and vibration, this material has an important role to play.

What motivates you to do this work, and how are you taking it forward?

I have several patented technologies that I previously developed in collaboration with industrialists. Even though from a scientific perspective I believe I’ve developed some exciting products over the years, this one really struck me as one with potential merit from a commercial perspective. This became increasingly evident after talking with my colleagues and some programme managers from funding bodies. I could really see the potential applications, which prompted me to throw myself into it.

The ultimate goal is to make something valuable that could provide a paradigmatic transition in the current vibration damping and energy absorption technologies from the use of fossil to fully biobased materials.

I may be an academic specialist but I know where my strengths and weaknesses lie, I know my pros and cons! I think you have to put your ego aside as an academic when doing something like this, because whether we make it work will depend on having the right people with the different skills and professional know-how.

I have always been inspired by Steve Jobs’ mantra – always work with people who are smarter than you. I consider myself blessed in the sense that I have a good team of PhDs and colleagues. They are all extremely good at what they do and better than myself at some things. That’s the only way to create something that is tangible for the scientific community, through collaboration.

How are you navigating the process of translating your work into a commercial venture?

Part of the work involved developing the data sets we need that will feed into the business case for the metabiogel absorber. We’re able to leverage some information from different projects that are relevant to our work. Alongside that, we need to gather the evidence that will show whether this could be a vehicle for something bigger.

I’m collaborating with two companies, one from the UK and one from the US, to see what this might look like. Understanding how this might be upscaled and funding will be important if we want it to do well.

By the end of the Fellowship, we anticipate having a strong business case, on which basis we can explore the opportunity of a start-up company and perhaps partnership with some companies to help with the Intellectual Property side of things.

Ultimately, it’s going to be important to have the right people in the right place – that will determine whether we thrive.

What do you consider to be the biggest challenge in your project and how are you addressing that?

Working in this way is a very different setup from a scientific point of view. It’s a challenge that I actually quite like. It’s something different from what I’ve done so far and it puts me outside of my comfort zone, which is good. I recognise that I am not CEO material! So, I know I need to find the right people who have the interpersonal skills and the professional skills that are necessary.

What I really like about this Enterprise Fellowship initiative is that it allows me to work with some great colleagues in an inspiring environment. I’m glad to be doing this at the University of Bristol, because there’s a recognition of how vital innovation is for all of us to flourish, as scientists and as an institution.

Aside from your core research area, what else inspires you?

I try to read as much as possible. I’m quite fascinated by Chinese and Indian philosophy from before and early periods of the Common Era, and Taoism in particular. I like the fact that these philosophies reveal a fluidity between the different components of life.

Sometimes, in the West, even at a scientific level we are known for taking a binary approach to decisions. In reality, what these philosophies have helped me discover is that every process, whether personal or scientific, needs to consider the fact that things change and things are more complex than the binary view suggests. Everything is deeply affected by its surroundings.

I think it’s important to appreciate that an ample source of knowledge is very valuable. It can feed in unexpected ways into how you proceed with your activities. The solution we want to develop for the Enterprise Fellowship similarly comes from observing the unexpected behaviour of the material outside its normal field of applications.

What would you say is the most valuable and rewarding aspect of what you do?

I’ve been quite lucky to meet people from different cultural backgrounds. This is probably one of the most important aspects of academia. We may do really astounding research but we will be remembered for what we impart to our students. This is why I try to create an environment that is conducive to bringing out people’s knowledge alongside their life experience.

For me this is probably the biggest benefit of my academic life and the reason for success – working collaboratively.

Fabrizio Scarpa is a Professor of Smart Materials and Structures at the University of Bristol’s School of Civil, Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering (CAME), and the Materials Theme Leader at the Bristol Composites Institute.